Orthognathic jaw surgery is also termed corrective surgery that involves moving the bones of both the upper jaws and the lower jaws or particularly the upper jaw or the lower jaw. In this procedure, the jaws are lengthened or shortened, moved in or out, up and down, resulting in the correction of the jaw that lets you have a harmonious bite and improvises your facial aesthetics.
If your jaws are positioned incorrectly, you may benefit from this surgery process. This article lets you know what are things that you need to follow before your jaw surgery, once you have fixed your appointment.
Preparation for your jaw surgery
Once, the schedule for your orthognathic surgery is made, it will be handled by the maxillofacial surgeon to realign your jaws and teeth to improve your facial structure and the functions of your jaws. Your surgeon will update you when your teeth are in the right positions to undergo jawline surgery. You will be given plenty of time to prepare yourself before the surgery. You will have regular visits with your orthodontist.
Your orthodontist checks whether you have made progress or need braces or need adjustments in your braces. Different records may be taken to monitor your progress. Your photos, documents, the position of your teeth and jaws, and X-rays may be included in your record.
Your orthodontist may update you on the timeline if they think it has to be revised and your jaw surgeon proceeds with the updated date by the orthodontist. To make your surgical treatment effective and easier in the best hospital for maxillofacial surgery, these are the things you need to follow during the months before surgery :
- If you are a smoker, you will have to quit smoking as smoking can increase your risk of complications. It worsens your gum diseases or can cause gum diseases. It also slows down your healing process after the surgery. Seek medical consultancy from your primary health care provider to quit smoking.
- Drugs that cause abnormal bleeding or raise risk factors or cause thinning of blood should be avoided.
- Pay attention to the legal procedures that take place. The final details, every legal aspect, and your consent will be gathered for the documents. It is your responsibility that you provide the necessary information and details that are true to your knowledge.
- You must follow the exact diet as mentioned by your doctor. Any changes in the diet must be clarified and then be followed.
- Plan in advance. Ask the best maxillofacial surgeon in Coimbatore, how long your recovery time can take. Your jaws may take about six weeks to heal in the first place, then the permanent healing may take place between nine and 12 months. Once you know how long your recovery phase is going to be, plan and arrange a time, accordingly.
- Take time to educate yourself about what to eat, how to eat, and to make it routine before the surgery so that you don’t find it difficult to manage your food schedule in the recovery phase.
- Make sure whether you need to continue or stop taking the medications or supplements as directed by the physician
What should you follow a few days before surgery?
You will meet your surgeon a few days before the jaw surgery, The surgeon will make sure to evaluate the progress and to finalize the plan of the surgery. You may discuss the factors that could affect your surgery, such as health conditions, medicines, and allergies. Your orthodontist may need tests to make sure that you are healthy enough to undergo jaw alignment surgery. Depending on different factors, you may be asked to undergo blood tests and other physical examinations. Here is a set of guidelines to be followed when you have a few days left, before the surgery:
- Make sure you stock up liquid foods as you can swallow them easily, without having the strain to chew food. The liquid foods that you store to help you in your recovery phase must include nutritional or energetic drinks, soups, milkshakes, and protein shakes. You can store foods that are easy to chew or foods that are easy to liquefy, such as bananas.
- It is suggested that you get a blender. A blender can come in handy when you need to liquefy foods.
- If suggested by your surgeon to take certain medicines or to continue taking supplements, clarify every single detail about the directions of taking your medicines.
- List out any concerns or doubts that you have regarding your bite, jawline structure, or about the surgery and discuss it with your orthodontist and jaw surgeon.
What should you follow 24 hours before jaw surgery?
- Also the day before jaw surgery – the cleanse period is the time when you have to fast. You may be asked not to drink or eat anything. You must maintain the fast for at least 12 hours before surgery.
- And a few hours before surgery, you can brush your teeth and take a bath once again before heading to the hospital.
- Be mentally prepared but stop over worrying, it is a pain-free surgery and you will be provided general anesthesia during the surgery. The success rate today is 94% – 98 %.
These are the key points that you need to follow before jaw alignment surgery.