Dr. SURESH DAMODHARAN
Consultant (Diabetology, Thyroid and Endocrinology)
MBBS, MRCP, (U.K.), CCST (Int-Medicine) (London), CCST (Diabetology and Endocrinology ) (London),
Experience : 20 Years
Availablility : MON- SAT (08:00 AM – 04.00PM)
Floor : First Floor – (Multi-Speciality)
Bay : 15 C
About The Doctor
- Over 10-years experience of undertaking acute unselected medical take. Usually involves the role of a team leader while participating in resuscitations and supervising and managing the on call medical team.
- As a senior house officer and 1 st year of specialist registrar worked in the on call system with 1:5 to 1:6 on call in weekdays and combined weekend on call. Currently working in partial shift system 4 weeks of acute medicine on call in every 12 weeks.
- I have managed an acute medical ward with 24-28 acute beds. I undertook 3 ward rounds per week. On average we had 40 admissions per take
- Two general out patient clinics per week with 5 new and 13 old patients per session
- Six months of modular intensive care training at the Northwick Park Hospital has improved my understanding of invasive and non-invasive ventilatory support, rationalization of ionotropy and renal replacement therapy and refined my procedural skills.
- I am frequently responsible for making decisions involving ethical issues often in liaison with peers and senior colleagues.
- During my SpR training at teaching hospitals, I have acquired valuable experience in conducting dedicated endocrinology out-patient clinics, often involving tertiary referral of complex endocrinological disorders.
- During my placement at the district general hospitals, I had excellent exposure in the management of patients with polycystic ovarian syndrome, electrolyte imbalances, thyroid and adrenal disorders.
- Organised and conducted endocrine testing (insulin tolerance test, glucagon test, TRH test) and organized meeting to discuss the results.
- I have experience in the perioperative management of complex endocrine surgeries like phaeochromocytomas, thyroid, parathyroid surgery, insulinoma, Conns’ syndrome and pituitary surgeries.
- Also had wonderful experience in attending the specialist clinics like pituitary (queens square), thyroid cancer, reproductive, turners, intersex and congenital adrenal hyperplasia and pregnant endocrine disorders.
- Gained valuable experience in inpatient consult service.
AWARDS & DISTINCTIONS
- Recently received Donnell D. Etzwiler International Scholarship during the Rising Star Award program held by the International Diabetes Centre, Minnesota and Mayo Clinic, Rochester in Lisbon, Portugal on September 9, 2017
- 1st prize in Medical and Paediatric Test in Final year Medical School
- Special prize in Medical and Paediatric Test in Division Level Medical Schools
- Distinction in Higher Secondary Exams [A level] in my District
- Diabetes Awareness Initiative Award 2014
Certificate in Medical Education, University of Dundee,
CCST (DIABETOLOGY AND ENDOCRINOLOGY)
I am competent in the following procedures
- Abdominal paracentesis
- Inter costal drainage
- Central Venous Cannulation
- Pleural biopsy
- Bone marrow biopsy
- Electrical Cardio version
- Arterial line
- Vascular cath
- Temporary pacing wire insertion
- Oesophageal Doppler
- Initiated and coordinated the Wednesday lunch time (Endocrinology / General Medicine) teaching programme for the junior and ward staff.
- Undertaking distance learning towards “Post Graduate Certificate In Medical Education (PGCME)” from Dundee University. I aim to pursue this further towards a diploma.
- Actively involved in teaching clinical examination skills to candidates who appeared for May 2008, Oct2008 and March2009 part2 MRCP PACES.
- Organised mock clinical exam for 3 PACES candidates in Feb. 2008.
- Organise and chair the endocrine unit’s Thursday Lunch time teaching sessions at Basildon university hospital.
- Medical Students attached to Prof. Betteridge. I have taken responsibility to organise teaching two sessions per week, on Monday and Friday mornings. One session in ‘practical hypoglycaemia’ and another in ward based teaching.
- Organised diabetic and endocrinology Monday and Thursday lunch time meetings in Royal Free hospital (2006 – 2007)
- Instrumental in organising and participating in General Practitioners’ Diabetes training day in Royal Free hospital and north Middlesex hospitals. (2006– 2007)
- Teacher/trainer at “intensive glycaemic control in type1 diabetics by diet and exercise.” A 6 week intensive course for patients runs by the dietetic department at the Royal Free Hospital (2006 – 2007).
- Contributed to online MCQ bank at the Royal Free and MRCP part 1 question banks (2006 – 2007).
- Dedicated sessions in teaching final year medical students “Practical hypoglycaemia” in Royal Free hospital whilst performing endocrine testing in Royal Free hospital on Fridays. (2006 – 2007).
- Active participation in teaching nurses (both practice and ward nurses), in the diabetes training day course in Broomfield hospital, north Middlesex, Royal Free and Basildon hospitals (2004 – 2007).
- Organised and conducted teaching for MRCP part2 candidates (2001 – 2006).
- Organised and chaired breakfast multidisciplinary team meeting whilst working in North Middlesex Hospital (2005 – 2006).
- Dedicated sessions(2 hours) in Broomfield hospital teaching Bart’s third year students every Tuesday morning (diabetes and endocrine curriculum, 2004 – 2005)
- Teaching faculty for final year course imperial college medical students while working as SPR at Northwick Park Hospital (2002 – 2004).
- Adrenal Disease
- Growth Hormone Disorder (Adolescent & Adult)
- Hypogonadism – Testosterone Deficiency
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Pituitary Dysfunctions
- Thyroid disorders
- Parathyroid disorders
- Calcium metabolism disorder
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Diabetes prevention & treatment
- Gestational Diabetes management
- Risk factor management in – coronary artery disease
- Nutritional Pharmacology & Metabolic Syndrome