- Surgery has remained the cornerstone in the treatment of cancer. With time, advances in knowledge of tumour biology, radiation oncology, chemotherapy and surgical techniques, organ preservation has become a reality, Surgeon is emerging as an important prognostic factor in treatment of certain cancers.
- Surgical oncologist possesses detailed knowledge about the natural history of individual cancers and the potentials of surgery, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, immunotherapy and other new treatment modalities, Surgical oncologist plays an important role in prevention, diagnosis, definitive treatment, palliation and rehabilitation as well. Radicality to ensure adequate resection but with least possible functional compromise is the aim of surgery.
- Considering these facts and strictly adhering to the oncologic principles, major technically complicated surgical procedures for Head & Neck, Gastrointestinal, Gynaecologic, Breast, Genitourinary, and Musculoskeletal cancers are performed by our skilled, qualified and experienced team of surgical oncologists.
- Concept of extensive radical surgeries are slowly being replaced by less radical ones to make surgical treatment of cancer acceptable to many patients. To mention a few, significantly improved colostomy free survivals without compromise on overall survival in mid and lower rectal cancers – switch form abdomino perineal resection to low anterior resection due to incorporation of pre op chemo radiation has almost become the standard of care. Knowledge of natural history of breast cancer has made conservative breast surgery with post operative radiotherapy equivalent to radical mastectomy leaving the patient satisfied psychologically.
- Sentinel node mapping though experimental, may go a long way in reducing the morbidity due to surgery for axillary & inguinal region in breast and penile cancers respectively. All known, surgery remains the main stay of treatment in almost all malignancies except the hematological cancers. Adherence to the principle of adequate resection enhances the chance of cure.
- Value of diagnostic laparoscopy to look for intra abdominal and pelvic metastases is well known. The role of laparoscopic resections for malignancy is undergoing rigorous trials in esophageal, gastric, pancreatic, colon, rectal, renal, cervical and ovarian neoplasms.