This department aims at providing State of the Art Care for patients with benign and malignant blood diseases.
Facilities & Technology
10 color flowcytometry, which very few centres in India have and is the first of its kind in Coimbatore is useful in precise diagnosis of all types of leukemia and lymphoproliferative disease
- The flow cytometer is useful in stem cell count monitoring and aids in exact measurement of stem cells before any transplant
- In addition to diagnosis the 10 color flow cytometer helps in follow up of these patients and to detect Minimal Residual Disease.
- Minimal Residual disease is the recent concept in hemato oncology which is detected with this advance flow cytometric and other molecular methods in which the presence of disease in 1 in 1 million cells can be identified. This precise detection is not only prognostic and but also helps to choose the need for intensive treatments and stem cell transplants. Hence patients are given individualised treatment in this modern era rather than routine regimens. This is the first of its kind in Coimbatore and unique in Tamilnadu
- Cytogenetic and molecular department forms two major important wings of hemato oncology.
- The in house cytogenetic department is the first of its kind in Coimbatore. This is necessary for early detection of life threatening diseases like APML. And cytogenetics being the major prognostic marker in Acute Myeloid Leukemia, in house cytogenetics helps to achieve the desired result in more than 95% of people on par with international standards
- Since most of the hematological cancers are curable
- And some hematological malignancies like acute leukemia , Hogkins luekemia, Chronic myeloid leukemia etc occurs in children and adolescent age groups
- Hence beyond cure, these patients find it difficult to look for a marital partner, and hence the department provides data base of eligible couples who are cured and lead a decent life on their own.
- Antenatal diagnosis of thalassemia and haemophilia
- Surgical facilities for severe hemophilic arthritis and other surgical conditions in these patients
- Advanced flow cytometry and cytogentic technologists trained from Christian Medical College Vellore provides these facilities with utmost precision. The laboratory technicians are suitably trained to support basic hematology
- The staff nurses in the ward are intensively trained in hemato oncology nursing, certified before handling these patients
Treatments & Procedures
- Acute leukemia
- All types of Non Hodgkins and Hodgkins lymphoma
- Myeloproliferative diseases
- Myelodysplastic Syndromes
- Aplastic anemia
- Thalassemia and Sickle cell diseases
- Auto immune thrombocytopenia and haemolytic anemia
- Venous thrombo embolism
- Various anemias congenital and acquired
- Stem cell / Bone marrow transplant for
- Poor risk Leukemia
- Relapsed Lymphoma
- Congenital immune deficiency
- Aplastic anemia
The department strives to achieve the treatment of these disorders on par with international standards in line with the vision and mission of Sri Ramakrishna hospital.
Advancement in hemato oncology care entirely revolves in diagnostic capabilities