Liver Transplant Unit
Sri Ramakrishna Hospital, Coimbatore is in the process of starting a liver transplantation service. A memorandum of understanding (MOU) has been signed with Gleneagles Global Hospital group, Chennai for the same. The liver transplant team of Gleneagles Global hospital, headed by world-renowned liver transplant surgeon, “Prof. Mohamed Rela” will provide full technical and manpower assistance to set up a liver intensive care unit (LICU) and perform deceased donor liver transplantation (DDLT). Prof. Rela’s team will participate in a selection of recipient and donors for liver transplantation, in the successful performance of liver transplant operation and postoperative care.
Sri Ramakrishna Hospital has appointed an in-hospital team who can successfully perform liver transplantation and offer world-class outcomes. The team consists of the following members
Treatments & Procedures
Major hepatectomies for
- Hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Hilar cholangiocarcinoma.
- Metastatic liver malignancies.
- Biliary cystadenoma and other cystic liver lesions.
- Giant, symptomatic haemangiomas.
- Whipple’s Pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic head and periampullary cancers
- Whipple’s Pancreaticoduodenectomy with portal vein or superior mesenteric vein resection
- Central or median pancreatectomy
- Total Pancreatectomy
- Spleen preserving distal pancreatectomy
- Distal pancreatectomy with splenectomy
- Frey’s operation (Pancreatic head coring) for chronic pancreatitis
- Necrosectomy for severe acute pancreatitis
- Early/immediate biliary reconstruction for post cholecystectomy bile duct injury
- Hepaticojejunostomy for post cholecystectomy bile duct strictures
- Re-do hepaticojejunostomy for strictured hepaticojejunostomy
- Choledochal cyst resection
- Proximal splenorenal shunt for extrahepatic portal vein obstruction and Non cirrhotic portal fibrosis
- Mesocaval shunt
Side to side porto caval shunt.
- Highly experienced, hepatology/gastroenterology support
- Experienced surgical team
- Experienced anaesthetic team
- Well equipped operation theatre
- Highly experienced interventional radiologist
- 24 hours staffed, ventilator equipped ICU
A very active, enthusiastic team of intensive care physicians and nurses man the ICU of Sri Ramakrishna Hospital, Coimbatore.
The ICU structure has been modernized and well equipped to handle the complexities of managing post liver transplant patient and to manage the very sick liver disease patients.