Frequently Asked Questions
What health issues do pediatricians address?
When should I get my child to the doctor?
Our Pediatrician In Coimbatore offers the following services to children below 18 years of age:
- Regular wellness visits: assessment of growth and development, vaccinations.
- General sick visits: Care of children with acute and chronic medical illness.
- Emergency Pediatric services.
Who is a Pediatric Endocrinologist?
For routine scheduled vaccinations:
- For regular growth and development checkups.
- When your child is sick - If your child is having a fever, cold, cough, vomiting, breathlessness, loose motions, is severely tired or lethargic, is irritated/ crying excessively, or anything which as a parent bothers you regarding your child. Trust your intuitions as a parent and seek timely help to ensure your child's wellbeing.
What are the thyroid problems that can occur in children?
A Pediatric Endocrinologist is a specialist who deals with hormone disorders in children from birth to adolescence(below 18 years of age). Some common hormonal issues in children include:
1. Diabetes Mellitus - Type 1 /Type 2
2. Short stature and growth disorders
4. Thyroid gland problems
5. Puberty problems - Early/ delayed puberty, menstrual irregularities, PCOS
6. Adrenal gland disorders - CAH, Addison disease, Cushing syndrome
7. Vitamin D related bone disorders
9. Disorders of Sex differentiation
10. Others- Hypopituitarism, Turner syndrome, Prader Wili Syndrome
Can asthma be cured completely?
Children too can develop thyroid problems:
1. Decreased functioning of the thyroid gland- hypothyroidism.
2. Increased functioning of the thyroid gland- hyperthyroidism.
Thyroid hormone is very important for a child's growth and brain development. So disorders of the thyroid gland should be identified at the earliest and treated appropriately. With the availability of good diagnostic and treatment modalities, it is now possible to accurately diagnose and effectively treat these children.
What are the 14 serious childhood diseases?
For asthma, there's no cure. It's a highly curable disease, however. In fact, some doctors say that today's treatments for asthma are so effective that many people almost have complete control of their symptoms.
How can we prevent common childhood diseases?
HPV (Human Papillomavirus)
What type of diseases do pediatricians treat?
Wash hands regularly.
Cover coughs and sneezes.
Disinfect toys, electronics, and communal objects.
Eat healthy and exercise regularly.
Start good habits early.
Illnesses that are of unclear cause, have prolonged fever, or are recurrent.
Bone and joint infections.
Acquired Immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS).