Whether through decay or trauma, dental fillings restore the structure of a tooth that has been compromised. When a tooth begins to deteriorate, it becomes hollow. Using dental fillings, you can fill in this gap and prevent it from getting any worse. Fillings can also be used to repair teeth that have been damaged by dental habits such as teeth grinding and nail-biting, such as filling cavities.
Why is a dental filling recommended?
The following are some possible symptoms:
- Your tooth has a hole in it
- The tooth has dark stains on it.
- Food is caught between the teeth in specific regions.
- Teeth that have been damaged in some way
- Food and beverage sensitivity to hot and cold
- Cavities can be single or many.
- If you experience any of the symptoms listed above, you may need a filling. After a comprehensive oral examination, your dentist will make the final decision.
What are the types of fillings that can be chosen from?
Gold fillings are custom-made in a lab and then glued into place. Gum tissues take gold inlays well, and they can endure up to 20 years. It is, however, frequently the most expensive option and generally necessitates repeated trips.
Silver fillings are abrasion-resistant and cost-effective. As a result, they are rarely used in highly visible locations, such as the front teeth.
Who is called an oral health therapist?
Dental practitioners with dual dental therapy and dental hygiene qualifications are known as Oral Health Therapists (OHTs). A comprehensive range of dental services are provided by Oral Health Therapists (OHTs) to persons of all ages, including children, adolescents, and adults can all benefit from good dental care in the hands of a skilled OHT.
Importance of oral health:
Like other parts of your body, your mouth is teeming with germs, most of which are harmless. Some of these bacteria, on the other hand, can cause illness since your mouth serves as a doorway to your digestive and respiratory systems.
The body’s natural defenses and regular oral health care, such as brushing and flossing, keep bacteria under control. As a result of poor dental hygiene, oral infections, such as tooth decay and gum disease, may occur.
Dental fillings procedure:
Depending on the location of the filling and the materials utilized, the processes may differ. However, the following are the general steps:
- The dentist applies a numbing gel to the patient’s gums. As soon as the local anesthetic has taken effect, they will administer an injection directly into the gums.
- A drill or other specialized equipment is used by the dentist to remove the decayed portion of the tooth.
- After that, the cavity is sealed up.
- To finish, the filling is polished and may be modified so that the patient’s bite feels normal.
When should you replace your tooth fillings?
Wear and tear of the dental filling:
Biting, grinding, or clenching can cause dental fillings to wear away, chip, or crack. Your dental hygienist can spot problems in your fillings during a normal check, even if you are unaware of them.
Developing decay over time:
If the barrier between the tooth enamel and the filling fails, food particles and microorganisms can get under the filling. You then run the risk of that tooth developing more decay. Untreated decay can cause an abscessed tooth by infecting the dental pulp.
Comparatively large decay that has grown:
There may not be enough tooth structure to support a replacement filling if the filling is large or the recurring decay is widespread.
Why is it important to visit an oral health therapist?
- Adults and children are both treated by them.
- They place a high value on oral health education and promotion.
- They diagnose, treat, and manage gum and tooth disease.
- They provide recommendations for oral disease prevention and treatment.
- They provide dietary advice.
- They emphasize the importance of dental maintenance checkups and conduct them in a pleasant manner to ensure long-term oral health.
The foundation of good dental health is regular preventive care. When it comes to preventing disease, you can only do so if you understand dental health and can make regular dentist appointments. An Oral Health Therapist’s job is to help you maintain a healthy mouth.
The oral health therapists are trained experts even to perform the dental fillings. The body’s inherent defenses and routine oral hygiene, such as brushing and flossing, usually keep bacteria in check. Plaque can accumulate to the point of causing gum disease and tooth decay if dental hygiene is neglected.
Is the process of dental filling scary?
Only a dental filling can prevent additional harm to your teeth. The next step is for you to unwind. Filling a cavity is a simple and painless procedure that will help you maintain excellent oral health.
Fillings for teeth should not be painful. Even if you arrive at your dentist in discomfort, you will not feel pain once the anesthesia has been provided. Your dentist will clean the cavity and remove the infectious material causing the pain during the dental filling treatment. Reaching out to the dental care in Coimbatore can help in choosing the best dental fillings.