What is the best treatment for Thyroid?
If you are suffering from thyroid problems, you can visit an endocrinologist in Coimbatore. The thyroid gland is a small and important gland of the endocrine system. It is a butterfly-shaped gland that is found in the neck region, wrapped around the windpipe.
The two hormones produced by the thyroid control the body’s metabolism, under the watchful supervision of the pituitary gland. When the thyroid malfunctions, it causes two types of primary diseases– hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. When the thyroid gland makes excessive thyroid hormone, it is called hyperthyroidism. When it makes lower than normal amounts of thyroid hormone, the condition is called hypothyroidism.
Symptoms of Thyroid Problems
Thyroid diseases can affect anyone and at any age. In some people, thyroid disease is present from birth. Women are also five to eight times more likely to develop thyroid conditions as compared to men.
Symptoms of hypothyroidism include:
- Weight gain
- Feeling tired
- Menstrual problems
- Frequent and heavy menstruation
- Dryness of hair
- Hoarseness of war
- Feeling exceptionally cold
Symptoms of hyperthyroidism include:
- Enlarged thyroid gland (also called goiter)
- Increased anxiety and nervousness
- Sleeping difficulties
- Excessive loss of weight
- Vision problems
- Tremor and weakness in the muscles
- Menstrual problems and irregularities
- Over-sensitive to heat
Best Treatment for Hyperthyroidism
The best treatment for hyperthyroidism include:
- Anti-thyroid medications: The commonly used anti-thyroid medication used in hyperthyroidism include methimazole and propylthiouracil. These medications affect the thyroid’s potential from making excess hormones.
- Radioactive Iodine: This is the most commonly recommended treatment for hyperthyroidism. This treatment is based on the thyroid gland’s ability to absorb iodine. When the hyperactive thyroid gland absorbs radioactive iodine, the cells that absorb are damaged. Most patients require just one dose of radioactive iodine session.
- Other medications/drugs: Though beta-blockers do not alter the thyroid gland’s ability to produce hormones, these medications are very effective in relieving symptoms.
- Surgery: Removing the thyroid gland or a part of it is a permanent way of treating hyperthyroidism. This is often the last resort and is used less commonly.
Best Treatment for Hypothyroidism
The best thyroid disease treatment for an inadequately functioning thyroid gland or hypothyroidism is thyroid replacement medication. In this treatment, synthetically created thyroid hormones are prescribed in the form of medications. A commonly used thyroid replacement drug is levothyroxine. Though side effects are rare with this medication, it usually requires dose adjustment by a doctor.
Thyroid conditions require treatment as a malfunctioning gland can disrupt the body’s metabolism. If you suffer from one or more symptoms of improperly functioning thyroid, you must contact the best endocrinology hospital in Coimbatore. Most people on thyroid disease treatment medications might have to continue taking the drugs throughout their lifetime. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle, eating a nutritious diet and regular physical activity go a long way in restoring the normal function of your thyroid. Book your thyroid checkup with the best endocrinologist in Coimbatore right away!